Your physical appearance in the workplace sends a larger message than simply looking well-kempt; your physical appearance can depict a wide range of important character attributes that can help you excel in your industry. From looks alone, one can gather your level of friendliness, integrity, trustworthiness, etc. in less than 7 seconds of meeting you. How can you quickly and easily influence someone’s opinion of your personal brand? Implementing the following tips can allow you to “level up” your professional image to help you either secure a promotion or land a new job.
Your body language can actually communicate more than words and plays a large impact on how you’re perceived by others. Here are some quick ways you can influence your personal brand on actions alone:
- Your facial expressions give feedback and show people that you’re engaged in the conversation. A simple smile depicts positive, warm emotions whereas a flat affect demonstrates insincerity and discontent.
- Be sure to hold eye contact for approximately three seconds to show that you’re genuine, secure, and confident– all positive characteristics of a future leader.
- It’s always important to mirror movements of your colleagues when it comes to tone of voice, and posture to show that you’re a true team player.
- Focus on your posture. A strong pose will convey confidence while weak posture often portrays that you’re disengaged and unhappy. If you’re not feeling confident, try rolling your shoulders up and back to send chemical signals to your brain that you’re ready to take on the task ahead.
- Avoid fidgeting as it can unintentionally imply nervousness (e.g., hair twirling, playing with phone, etc.).
When it comes to branding yourself, it’s always important to dress for the job you want, not the job you have. Not only do people judge your abilities based on the clothes you wear, but your wardrobe choice can directly impact your level of confidence as well. Simply wearing professional clothing in the office may improve your leadership skills by providing immediate self-assurance. If you’re not sure what to wear, looking at your manager’s style can help spark inspiration.
When it comes to grooming, make sure you consider your work environment. If you work in an informal environment, keep the beard but make sure to take care of stray hairs. Meanwhile, for more formal environments, consider a clean-shaven face using proper shaving techniques. Most importantly, don’t forget to stay true to yourself. Your clothes and overall appearance should reflect your personality and show your individuality.
Warren Buffett once stated, “It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it”. Your actions in the workplace can also quickly define your brand. When interacting with your coworkers and company leadership, it’s always important to practice good, professional manners. In addition, be sure to make yourself invaluable by going above and beyond when it comes to your day-to-day. It’s crucial to take on extra responsibilities and seek out opportunities to help others achieve their goals. Lastly, continuous learning is imperative to success. Better yourself and your company through continuing your education, either formally or informally, to become a key asset.
In conclusion, implementing these quick tips can help you make positive strides towards securing your dream job, whether it’s in a new or current organization. Simply allocating 1-hour per day to upgrading your personal brand will help you quickly become a vital part of your company’s infrastructure.